Success=3x a week

Today I bought a bottle of Prosecco to kindly usher out 2016. The year included Sheila’s Excellent Adventure to the other side of the world back in May, as well as tons of political slime. If I dredge up the election I feel sick. So I’ve managed to file it away. Sure, I’ll resist the upcoming onslaught on democracy, defending democracy when I can.

What will I focus on?

Three activities to be carried out at least three times a week.  Tried and true ways for me to feel positive. Being in nature is closely connected to my first goal of exercise, while listening to a stream, looking at flowers, or whatever the season presents.

img_3314

Sabino Canyon desert stream on a winter’s day

EXERCISE is good for the brain. I feel more alive if I walk at least three miles or go to Pilates at least twice a week. Specifically, I’m committing to 30 squats a day, which supposedly will keep the nursing home away.

img_3317

Sabino Canyon, where I walked three miles Dec. 30, 2016

MINDFULNESS MEDITATION is a useful way to not dwell on the thoughts scurrying around in my head. They’re always there, but they don’t all deserve my undivided attention.

WRITE FOR AN HOUR A DAY. I’ve started on writing projects, giving up and telling myself I’m undisciplined, or that I’m too social to stay in my office like a “real writer.” Bullshit. All of it.

I’ve heard writers say they can’t not write. That’s not me. As satisfying as writing can be, it’s still work. Movies, books, popcorn, tea, chocolate, laundry all beckon. But an hour??? Damn. I can do it.

I’m not going to beat myself up. My three goals for 2017 — 3x a week=success! — seem doable.

Done with 2016. The new year will bring a new beginning, especially since Ethan and Steph’s baby will be born early in the year.

Happy New Year, dear readers, and good luck to us all!

img_3312

HOW WILL YOU WELCOME THE NEW YEAR?

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Family Matters, Fight wimpiness, Journalism/Writing, Nature Girl, Politics and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Success=3x a week

1. G. Harvey says:

Sounds like a great plan. I’ve formulated one very similar and hopefully we can carry out some of it together. Best wishes to you for a happy, active, and productive 2017.

2. sheilawill says:

Wonderful! I want to hear your plan. Let’s go to a movie soon.

3. Sheila Lepley says:

wonderful goals of yours. Mine? Get rid of the clutter I’ve accumulated for 45 years…nasty business to do that, but I’ve begun. Happy New Year to you and your family, our country and the world….a tall order.

4. sheilawill says:

It’s fun to throw stuff away. Good luck with that, and thanks for the new year wishes!

5. sydvinflynn says:

Good one! Thanks. Happy New Year.See you in 2017.

From: Tucson Writer Editor To: sydvinflynn@yahoo.com Sent: Friday, December 30, 2016 5:37 PM Subject: [New post] Success=3x a week #yiv7726416370 a:hover {color:red;}#yiv7726416370 a {text-decoration:none;color:#0088cc;}#yiv7726416370 a.yiv7726416370primaryactionlink:link, #yiv7726416370 a.yiv7726416370primaryactionlink:visited {background-color:#2585B2;color:#fff;}#yiv7726416370 a.yiv7726416370primaryactionlink:hover, #yiv7726416370 a.yiv7726416370primaryactionlink:active {background-color:#11729E;color:#fff;}#yiv7726416370 WordPress.com | sheilawill posted: “Today I bought a bottle of Prosecco to kindly usher out 2016. The year included Sheila’s Excellent Adventure to the other side of the world back in May, as well as tons of political slime. If I dredge up the election I feel sick. So I’ve managed to file i” | |

6. sheilawill says:

Thanks for being such loyal readers!

7. annanddean says:

I find planning interferes with my hobby of active pursuit of doing nothing.